Ontario Motorcycle Accident Lawyer - Discusses What You Need to Do if You Are Involved in a Motorcycle Accident
If you have been injured in an Ontario motorcycle accident, there are important steps you should take to protect your rights. We are experienced motorcycle accident lawyers and also ride and have friends who ride. We understand the passion and joy and that comes with riding a motorcycle, and we are happy to help riders that have been injured in a motorcycle accident.
Depending on the severity of the motorcycle accident and injuries sustained, some of these steps may need to be pursued by a legal representative or other person on behalf of the motorcyclist. Here are some of the things to do following a motorcycle accident in Ontario:
1. Call 911 - report the accident to police and request an ambulance if you are injured.
2. If you are not admitted to hospital immediately following your accident, then you should seek medical attention as soon as possible. Not all injuries will be immediately recognized, so it is important to be checked out by a physician.
3. Obtain witness information. In motorcycle accidents, it is especially important to have witness information. This includes the names, addresses, and phone numbers of any and all witnesses. Do not rely on police to collect all the information - we see countless accident investigations where police did not capture the witness details.
4. Take down the other party's information. You should obtain name, and contact information, as well as Driver's License and License Plate number for the involved vehicle.
5. Contact your insurance company and advise them of the accident and that you were injured. Your insurance company will assign a claim number, and send you at a package to be completed.
6. Speak to an experienced motorcycle injury lawyer before completing your application for accident benefits or before giving a statement or other claim related matter. It could be detrimental to your claim to rely on non-legal professionals, such as nurses, physiotherapist, or chiropractors to complete you application for accident benefits. While these clinicians will be more than happy to assist with your insurance forms in order to facilitate funding for treatment, they are not legal professionals and, as such, they may not appreciate the legal ramification that can follow from the statements made in an application for accident benefits
We highly recommend that motorcycle injury victims to speak to an experienced Ontario motorcycle accident lawyer about their rights and options following an accident. In a serious accident, a lawyer can assist immediately with obtaining benefits for loss of income, and non-OHIP covered medical expenses. A motorcycle accident lawyer, can also start the process of preserving and collecting the important evidence needed to pursue a claim against the at-fault driver and their insurance company.
Consultations with a Motorcycle Accident at Iacobelli Law Firm are always complimentary and strictly confidential. If you are too injured to meet with us at our office, we will come to meet you at your hospital or home. To request your FREE Consultation call us 24/7 at 1-866-234-6093 or complete our contact form here.
There are reports of a fatal crash involving a motorcycle and a minivan in Minto Ontario on July 5, 2013. Sadly, the rider of the motorcycle, a man from Harriston died as a result of his injuries.
First and foremost, we offer our sincere condolences to the family and friends of the man who tragically lost his life in this Minto motorcycle accident.
Wellington County OPP were investigating the cause of the motorcycle and minivan accident.
Although many members of the the public believe that motorcycle riders are responsible for accidents, studies have regularly revealed that many motorcycle crash injuries are caused by the negligence of the other vehicle driver. Some of the most common causes of motorcycle accidents in Ontario include the following:
vehicle turning left across the path of an oncoming motorcycle;
vehicle changing lanes and sideswiping or cutting-off the motorcycle;
vehicle drivers fails to see the motorcycle; and
speeding by the vehicle driver and/or motorcycle.
Fatal motorcycle accidents in Ontario often occur when drivers of other vehicles fail to observe the motorcycle. In particular, motorcycles are vulnerable when cars or trucks suddenly pull out of driveways or turn across the path of an approaching motorcycle.
Ontario Motorcycle accidents are vigorously defended by insurance companies. If you have lost a loved one as a result of a fatal motorcycle accident, it is important to speak with an experienced Ontario motorcycle accident lawyer. A motorcycle accident lawyer can help you make informed decisions for your future. For a free consultation with an Ontario motorcycle accident law firm, call us at 416-900-1070 or toll free at 1-866-234-6093.
Connect with Andrew Iacobelli on Google+
There are reports that an Orangeville couple were seriously injured when their motorcycle was hit head on by a an SUV in California. According to reports the driver of the other vehicle was charged with driving while impaired.
First and foremost, we offer our support to the Canadian couple that was injured in this motorcycle accident. We hope that they make a speedy recovery from their injuries.
Cross border accidents, in which Canadians are injured in motor vehicle accidents while visiting the United States are, unfortunately, quite common. Canadians travel to the United States frequently, for vacations, business and countless other reasons. It is especially difficult to deal with a serious accident when you are far away from home.
When Canadians are seriously injured in an accident in the United States, it is important to understand your insurance coverage. Medical bills in the United States can be expensive. Often, the other vehicle will have little, or sometimes, no insurance available. Fortunately, Canadians will often be able to access insurance benefits through their own insurance company, even for car accidents that occurred in the United States. In addition to obtaining accident benefits or disability insurance payments from your Canadian insurer, you may also be able to claim against the insurance company for the other vehicle/driver in the United States.
If you are an Ontario resident, and were injured in a motorcycle accident in the United States, there is a chance that the at fault party may have insufficient insurance coverage. That is, the other driver's insurance limits may not be sufficient to pay for your claim or medical bills. Many places in the United States have lower minimum insurance requirements for drivers than Ontario. In those situations, you may be able to advance a claim in Ontario, Canada for the uninsured and underinsured benefits that form part of your Ontario motor vehicle insurance policy.
Cross border accident and personal injury cases can be complex and you should not delay in consulting a Ontario personal injury lawyer to make sure your rights are fully protected.
Ontario lawyer, Andrew Iacobelli, obtained his Juris Doctor degree (cum laude) from Michigan State University and he is licensed to practice law in the province of Ontario and in the State of Michigan and State of Florida. Andrew is also admitted to practice in the United States Federal Courts for the Southern, Middle and Northern Districts of Florida, and the United States Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeal. Before returning to Ontario, Andrew litigated serious personal injury, wrongful death, and insurance bad faith claims in the United States. Andrew has established a network of legal professionals in the United States with whom he is able to co-ordinate legal proceedings which must be conducted in the United States.
Connect with Andrew Iacobelli on Google+
Andrew Iacobelli is an Ontario lawyer that restricts his practice to representing personal injury victims and their families. Andrew is the founder of Iacobelli Law Firm.