Ontario Motorcycle Accident Lawyer - Discusses What You Need to Do if You Are Involved in a Motorcycle Accident
If you have been injured in an Ontario motorcycle accident, there are important steps you should take to protect your rights. We are experienced motorcycle accident lawyers and also ride and have friends who ride. We understand the passion and joy and that comes with riding a motorcycle, and we are happy to help riders that have been injured in a motorcycle accident.
Depending on the severity of the motorcycle accident and injuries sustained, some of these steps may need to be pursued by a legal representative or other person on behalf of the motorcyclist. Here are some of the things to do following a motorcycle accident in Ontario:
1. Call 911 - report the accident to police and request an ambulance if you are injured.
2. If you are not admitted to hospital immediately following your accident, then you should seek medical attention as soon as possible. Not all injuries will be immediately recognized, so it is important to be checked out by a physician.
3. Obtain witness information. In motorcycle accidents, it is especially important to have witness information. This includes the names, addresses, and phone numbers of any and all witnesses. Do not rely on police to collect all the information - we see countless accident investigations where police did not capture the witness details.
4. Take down the other party's information. You should obtain name, and contact information, as well as Driver's License and License Plate number for the involved vehicle.
5. Contact your insurance company and advise them of the accident and that you were injured. Your insurance company will assign a claim number, and send you at a package to be completed.
6. Speak to an experienced motorcycle injury lawyer before completing your application for accident benefits or before giving a statement or other claim related matter. It could be detrimental to your claim to rely on non-legal professionals, such as nurses, physiotherapist, or chiropractors to complete you application for accident benefits. While these clinicians will be more than happy to assist with your insurance forms in order to facilitate funding for treatment, they are not legal professionals and, as such, they may not appreciate the legal ramification that can follow from the statements made in an application for accident benefits
We highly recommend that motorcycle injury victims to speak to an experienced Ontario motorcycle accident lawyer about their rights and options following an accident. In a serious accident, a lawyer can assist immediately with obtaining benefits for loss of income, and non-OHIP covered medical expenses. A motorcycle accident lawyer, can also start the process of preserving and collecting the important evidence needed to pursue a claim against the at-fault driver and their insurance company.
Consultations with a Motorcycle Accident at Iacobelli Law Firm are always complimentary and strictly confidential. If you are too injured to meet with us at our office, we will come to meet you at your hospital or home. To request your FREE Consultation call us 24/7 at 1-866-234-6093 or complete our contact form here.
By: Andrew Iacobelli
A cyclist was struck and killed today in a crash involving a transport truck. This fatal bicycle and truck accident occurred in Mississauga near Dixie Road and Derry Road just before 9:00 am. The victim has only been identified as a male, but his name has not been released.
First and foremost, we offer our sincere condolences to the family and friends of the man that was tragically killed in this Mississauga bicycle accident.
In Ontario, certainly family members can advance claims following a fatal accident. In most instances of a wrongful death claim, it is the blood relatives, such as husband, wife, mother, father, children, etc., who are entitled to file a claim.
On Friday November 9, 2012 a cyclist was injured in a Vaughan accident. This accident invovled a bicycle that was hit by a vehicle near Rutherford Road and Fossil Hill Road in Vaughan. This Vaughan bicycle accident occurred on Friday afternoon.
The cyclist was reportedly injured and transported to hospital via ambulance. First and foremost, Iacobelli personal injury law firm offers its support to the injured cyclist. We hope that he will make a full and speedy recovery from his injuries.
Bicycle and pedestrian accidents in Ontario often result in serious injuries. Most of bicycle accidents are avoidable, and are the result of driver error. Vehicle operators often fail to observe the presence of bicycles or fail to provide cyclists with sufficient space. More information is needed in order to assign fault for this Vaughan bicycle accident. The police were investigating the circumstances of the accident.
Regardless of fault, if a cyclist is injured because of a motor vehicle in Ontario, they will be entitled to statutory accident benefits. This form of insurance compensates for some of the losses that may result following an accident and injury. In addition, if the vehicle is at-fault, a cyclist in Ontario may also claim damages from the at-fault driver's insurance.
Iacobelli Law Firm represents individuals that are injured in motor vehicle accidents, including pedestrians and cyclists. We also offer prospective clients with a free consultation. There is no obligation beyond the free consultation. If you or a loved one has been injured in car accident, pedestrian accident, or bicycle accident, speak with a Vaughan personal injury lawyer by calling us at 1-866-234-6093 or complete our online contact form.
In Toronto and the GTA, we have had great summer weather. Many people have enjoyed taking to the road on their bicycles. While the vast majority of cyclists have been able to enjoy cycling in Toronto and the GTA without incident, there have also been many people injured in collisions with cars.
As a personal injury lawyer, I am frequently asked: What is the law in Ontario when someone riding a bike gets hit by a car?
Although a bicycle is not a motor vehicle, a cyclist will still have legal rights and benefits following an accident with an automobile.
If you are injured in a bicycle accident in Ontario involving a car or truck, you can receive Ontario no-fault auto accident benefits. You can also advance a claim against the owner/driver of the vehicle that hit you in order to recover your losses and damages.
A no-fault claim (also known as accident benefits claim) is between the bike accident victim and the auto insurance company. It would be the responsibility of the auto insurance company to cover your benefits, including medical and rehabilitation expenses, lost wages, and attendant care. Even if you did not have auto insurance coverage at the time of the accident, you will be able to claim for no-fault benefits. The insurance policy responsible for these benefits will depend on the circumstances, and be determined based on "priority rules."
In addition, the bike accident victim can also bring a tort claim against the driver and owner of the vehicle that caused the accident. The insurance company for the other vehicle will defend and pay the claim. The damages available in a tort claim following a bike accident include pain and suffering as well as economic losses and expenses.
Following a bike accident, it is important to have legal advice early. There are important deadlines and applications that will need to be completed and filed in order to secure your benefits. If you have questions following a bike accident in York Region, Toronto or elsewhere in Southern Ontario, call Iacobelli Law Firm for a free consultation with a bike accident lawyer.
Andrew Iacobelli is an Ontario lawyer that restricts his practice to representing personal injury victims and their families. Andrew is the founder of Iacobelli Law Firm.