Canadians Resuming Travel to United States This Winter - What You Should Know In Case You Are Involved in a Car Accident
As travel restrictions ease up for Canadians travelling to the United States, it is expected that many Canadians will be heading south this winter. Florida remains a popular destination for Ontario residents, and every winter we are called on by individuals and other attorneys for advice regarding the right's of Ontario residents injured in car accidents while travelling in the United States. For our firm, the majority of these cases, involve Ontario residents that are involved a car crash while in sunny Florida.
Here are some important things you should know if you are injured due to a crash in the United States:
1. Your Ontario auto insurance provides coverage for your injuries. Many people think that only their vehicle property damage is covered by their Ontario policy. Actually, you have coverage for your injuries as well. Ontario Accident Benefits provide coverage for things such as medical and rehabilitation expenses. The coverage will depend on the nature and severity of injuries.
2. You will be asked to elect between Ontario first party benefits and those that are available in the jurisdiction where the crash occurred. Choose wisely, as the election is final. Get the advice of a lawyer that handles cross-border accidents to help you make an informed decision. Insurance adjusters are usually not helpful - they often want you to elect the lesser of the benefits so that they save money. Don't make the choice until you have talked to a lawyer.
3. If you are not at fault, you will most likely be entitled to bring an additional claim against the at-fault party for injuries you suffered as a result of the car crash. This claim is almost always covered by insurance.
4. Many US vehicles have insufficient insurance to pay the bodily injury claim. As such, you may need to consider an Ontario underinsured or uninsured motorist claim. A cross-border litigation lawyer can assist you in making this determination.
5. The law that applies to your injury claim for an accident in the United States, and the insurance that responds, is almost always a blend between Ontario and US law.
6. Our law firm has offices in Ontario and the United States and we are experts in cross-border motor vehicle accident cases. We are regularly called upon by attorneys in Canada and the United States to assist with these kinds of cases. We are available 24/7 - so call us anytime to request a Free Consultation.
We hope that you have a great time travelling between Ontario and the United States, and that you never need our services. If, however, you find yourself or a loved one in need of advice regarding a US accident, we are here for you. Call us anytime, or complete our online form to request a free consultation. We can be reached at 1-866-234-6093.
Andrew Iacobelli is an experienced personal injury lawyer who established Iacobelli Law Firm with offices located in Ontario, Canada and Florida, U.S.A. Andrew restricts his practice to the representation of personal injury victims in claims involving serious injuries and wrongful death in Canada and the United States. Andrew is the author of "Are You a Canadian Injured in the United States? Claim the Damages and Insurance Coverage the Right Way".
Main Law Office and Mailing Address
15 Wertheim Court, Suite 303
Richmond Hill, Ontario L4B 3H7
1200 Bay Street, Suite 202
Toronto, Ontario, M5R 2A5
10877 Keele Street
Vaughan, Ontario L6A 0K6
Toll Free: 1-877-742-2529
Our Fee Promise: No Fees Unless You Win