What is a Law Clerk?
Law Clerks play a crucial role in assisting lawyers with the preparation of legal and court documents. Being a law clerk is all about client service at Iacobelli Law Firm. Our Law Clerks help others and answer any concerns our clients may have and have an important role in our firm.
Some skills that our law clerks have are:
- Assisting lawyers in preparing for depositions, hearings, trials and conferences;
- completing many administrative tasks, including, working on individual cases or transactions.
- Investigating the factual evidence of a case and preparing exhibits, charts and diagrams to display information.
- Conducting routine discovery.
- Organizing and tracking files for important transactions or case documents, including pleadings and voluminous discovery documents; creating and maintaining a case-management database.
- Research case law in preparation for helping lawyers develop solid arguments.
- Assist clients with filling out forms, responding to lawyer requests and navigating the legal system.
- Communicate with clients and their families to ensure our clients are looked after as they recover.
What is an Articling Student?
Many clients ask us what an articling student is. Articling is the first and most significant step in their legal career and our students play a key role in our firm’s success.
Some skills are:
- conduct legal research
- prepare legal documents and argument
- prepare for and attend at motions
- prepare for and assist with trials
- attend at examinations for discovery and mediations
Paralegals vs. Legal Assistants
Paralegals and legal assistants perform many of the duties for a lawyer. They do legal research, draft pleadings and other court and legal documents. They help with trial preparation and can usually assist clients by answering many of their questions. Paralegals in Ontario are permitted to give legal advice and can represent clients in some legal matters.
The duties of a legal secretary are typically more limited. They may draft correspondence and usually organize files and perform word processing, transcribing the lawyer's dictation from audio devices and follow their directives for other tasks. They take phone calls but are not usually entrusted with answering client questions. More commonly, they will draft those questions in a memo that is passed on to the lawyer, so he or she has a full understanding of the client's concerns and needs when the lawyer returns calls. Legal secretaries set appointments and calendar court appearances and events in each case. Lawyers rely heavily on legal assistants to help with cases, communicate with clients, and keep the office running smoothly. It’s a key role in our legal system. They may also take care of other administrative tasks.
Establishing a great team at Iacobelli Law Firm is a high priority for us. It takes working as a team to gain successful results. Our Team is an incredibly compassionate group of people, and routinely go above and beyond to help a client in need.
If you have been seriously injured an accident, Iacobelli Law Firm understands how difficult and life-changing it can be for you and your family. We are a dedicated Ontario Personal Injury Law Firm that provides compassionate and competent legal counsel for the injured and we offer a FREE Consultation so please feel free to call us at 1-866-234-6093. We are honored to serve our clients and our community.
Andrew Iacobelli is an experienced personal injury lawyer who established Iacobelli Law Firm with offices located in Ontario, Canada as well as offices in Florida, U.S.A. Andrew restricts his practice to the representation of personal injury victims in claims involving serious injuries and wrongful death.