When you are seriously injured in an accident, you need a personal injury lawyer to handle your claim but one of the questions our Personal Injury Law Firm often gets asked is “What does a personal injury lawyer do?” If you are hurt in a serious accident, a personal injury lawyer can help you get compensation for your injuries. The injury lawyers at Iacobelli Law Firm cover several practice areas that fall under personal injury law. If you are hurt from a fall, a motor vehicle accident, a defective product, a dog bite, hurt by medical malpractice, hurt from nursing home negligence or you have been denied an insurance claim or Long-Term Disability, a personal injury lawyer can help. As you focus on your medical treatment, surgical interventions and therapeutic treatments, our team focuses on protecting your legal rights.
- If you were involved in a motor vehicle collision, the investigating police officer will want answers.
- If you are injured, your insurance company may need your statement or other information.
- The other driver’s insurance company will need to know your version of the collision.
- If you fell on someone’s property, the liability insurance company will want to know what happened.
- If you were injured on the sidewalk or public area, the City Risk Department or Insurance adjusters will require proper notice.
- If you were injured by a dog, the owner of the dog is held liable and will have questions.
Following a Serious Injury We Can Help
While you might be able to handle these issues on your own, there may be too much at stake to handle it alone. During the confusing post-accident days, your personal injury lawyer intervenes on your behalf. As a legal representative, they will force those people to deal with their team instead of bothering you. A personal injury lawyer remains vigilant from the moment you decide you want their representation and a personal injury lawyer protects your legal rights.
If someone else has injured you, you may be entitled to collect compensation for your injuries and losses. A personal injury lawyer can advise you about what steps you need to take to negotiate a settlement. If the insurance company refuses to come to a fair and reasonable settlement, a personal injury lawyer should be ready to take your case to court. Your version of the accident becomes the road map that your lawyer will follow as they protect your legal interests. When your lawyer discusses your case with you, they listen for facts and information that require additional
clarification and follow up. They ask relevant questions about your accident circumstances, your injuries, pain, recovery, disabilities, insurance and other key information.
If you were injured in an auto accident, your legal representative will want to know about lights, traffic signals, speed limits, weather or traffic signs. If you were injured in a slip and fall accident, they will want to understand the surface on which you fell. They will consider the lighting, your shoes and any obstructions on your path. Part of preparing for settlement is doing an investigation of the case and a personal injury lawyer will investigate your case which may involve hiring expert witnesses as well as gathering evidence available as a result of your accident.
If you are in an auto accident, both your auto insurance carrier and the other driver’s auto insurance carrier will want to talk to you. If it’s a premises fall or an on-the-job injury, a general liability or workers compensation claim, insurance will want information. To prevent them from contacting you, your personal injury lawyer advises all relevant parties that you are legally represented. They notify each person or entity that all future contacts or inquiries must come through their office. This allows a personal injury lawyer to keep track of insurance communications and insurance claim statuses,injury prognosis, medical treatment and other information critical to your case so you can focus on your recovery.
If a Law Firm makes their initial notice via phone or email, they will usually follow up with a formal letter or representation. They will send their representation letter to the drivers of other vehicles involved in your motor vehicle collision, manufacturers of defective machines, insurance companies and anyone else who may try to contact you about the incident.
Your lawyer will also represent you at every stage of the claim. This may include involvement in settlement discussions, depositions or examinations for discovery, document productions, mediation, the preparing and filing legal pleadings and motions with court, and any appearances at court or trial. When an agreement is reached outside of court, your personal injury will review settlement documents and releases to ensure that you are protected.
Important Things to Remember When You Are A Client
Once represented, your lawyer will instruct you on a variety of things you can do (or avoid doing) to help protect your personal injury case. Here are six important things to remember:
- Do not sign any document relative to your case without discussing it with your lawyer first. Use the rule: “Better Safe Than Sorry”.
- Keep copies of all bills you incur relative to the accident, even if your own insurance company is paying them. Do not throw any documents away pertaining to your case as your lawyer may need them in the future.
- Notify your lawyer immediately when your doctor has released you from further care and if and when you may decide to return to work. Keep the lines of communication open with your personal injury lawyer when it comes to any type of change in your recovery. Even if you may think the information may be minor, it could be major to your personal injury lawyer.
- Notify your lawyer immediately if you have a change of address or phone number and alert them if you are going out of town even if it is just for short period of time.
- Do not change doctors without advising your personal injury lawyer.
- Be honest with your lawyer at all times. Always remember that your personal injury lawyer is working on your behalf and they have the final say when it comes to any information that may or may not be relevant to your case.
Catastrophic and serious injuries often lead to complex diagnoses, treatment, prognoses and disabilities that can have a profound effect on your life. It is important to seek legal representation right away when you are seriously injured as there are important deadlines involved.
Iacobelli Law Firm realizes how difficult it is to recover from a serious injury and you do not have to face the consequences alone. Our Team at Iacobelli Law Firm strives to make sure that you are set up with the appropriate care that you need while you recover from your injuries. We provide compassionate and competent legal counsel for the injured throughout Ontario and offer a FREE Consultation so please feel free to call us at 1-866-234-6093. We are honored to serve our clients and our community.
Andrew Iacobelli is an experienced personal injury lawyer who established Iacobelli Law Firm with offices located in Ontario, Canada as well as offices in Florida, U.S.A. Andrew restricts his practice to the representation of personal injury victims in claims involving serious injuries and wrongful death.